Stretching is one of the most important aspects of keeping fit.
You can Stretch anytime and, pretty much, anywhere, and it is one of the very best ways to start your day. Follow these steps to do it safely and effectively.
What is Stretching?
Stretching is a form of physical exercise in which a specific muscle or tendon (or muscle group) is deliberately flexed or stretched in order to improve the muscle’s felt elasticity and achieve comfortable muscle tone. The result is a feeling of increased muscle control, flexibility, range of motion, increased blood flow to the muscles and decreases risk of activity related injury.
Stretching Safely is Key!
- Always warm up before your stretching routine, some easy calisthenics, jogging in place or a walk around the block.
- Focus on the major muscle groups (see illustrations)
- Stretching is not bouncing, stretching is a slow, continuous lengthening of the muscle group you are focusing on.
- You are stretching to loosen the muscle group, you will feel the tension, but you do not want to feel pain. We trust you know the difference.
- Keep up on your stretching, make it a habit. As you get used to your stretches continue to extend yourself to stretch each muscle group a little further each week.
Stretching Major Muscle Groups: